Saturday, October 23, 2010

And the First Shall Be Last as Well

Like most soil and seed enthusiasts around these parts, I have chives in my garden. As a matter of fact, I have two patches of Allium schoenoprasum.

Depending on how spring opens, I've found the first green shoots of these plants pushing toward the sun through ice. (Rhubarb does the same.) Along with the wild leeks that grow all over our land by the river, chives are among the first plants I harvest. They are also among the first to bloom as you can see in the bottom photo.

Then, when I cut back my gardens for the winter, as I did today, I take a last swipe at the chives. The batch sitting in the colander in the top picture will soon be snipped into small pieces, placed in a covered plastic container, and put in the freezer for me to enjoy in my scrambled eggs and on my baked potatoes all winter long.

No comments:

Post a Comment