Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Critter Sightings: Deep Thrill















First of all, I apologize for the really awful picture on the top left of this post but when I explain the circumstances, I'm sure you'll understand.

You see, there's a row of windows on the side of our house that look out over the White River. From our eating table (no dining room here so that term doesn't work), we look out over a comma-shaped rock outcropping where we swim and launch our kayaks, the downstream end of our island, and lying not far from the downstream tip of the island, there's a sizable gravel bank that's become pretty sturdy over time. That's what you see in this picture.

That and that darker spot topped with white in the center which is a bald eagle.

When my sharp-eyed husband spotted that bird early this morning, it was litterally standing-room only at the window as we all trained our binoculars on this spectacular bird.

If you're into Native American lore, the eagle is a very powerful sign, one to which you pay close attention.

A little while later, while I was working on my novel (I write in longhand), I heard a scratching sound, looked up and watched as a chipmunk ran across a screen window.

Still later, when I got Goldie so we could take a walk, there was a beautiful garter snake warming itself on the paving stones next to our house. Then I noticed that the first of the hundreds of day lilies that fill my garden closest to the road had opened. I just love these plants, beautiful, tough, resistant to pests, road salt, you name it. I am a big daylily fan.

And yesterday on our walk, Goldie and I almost ran headlong into a beautiful doe.

Critters and plants. They make the world go 'round.

No comments:

Post a Comment