Friday, December 31, 2010

One Resolution Only—Just One

When I was a little kid, I loved school. The night before school started, I'd lay awake with excitement because everything that would happen that year still lay ahead and the possibilities seemed infinite.

The dawn of a New Year strikes me the same way. (This photo was taken from our front yard this morning as the sun rose.) It's exciting and there are so many possibilities.

In times past, I used to make up lists of resolutions in all sorts of categories, a way of organizing my year. (Yes, I do love lists. Why do you ask?)

But the end of the year was always a downer because all the lofty goals had been forgotten by February. As John Lennon once said: "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."

How in the world can you organize 365 days anyway?

So now I limit myself to one resolution only, just one. The issue here is focus. The other, equally important, consideration is keeping myself in the present. And since I believe that questions foster forward movement, that is the form of my resolution.

Here it is: What is the most important task I need to accomplish today?

And to help keep myself on track, I will end each of my blog posts with my Daily MIT (Most Important Task) and note if the one from the previous day was accomplished.

I'll keep it short and you can skip it if you want. But just knowing someone may read it keeps me on my toes.


Today's MIT: Finishing the compilation of all my financial information for 2010 so I will be ready for taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment