Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Real Value of Water














All last winter, my husband kept saying he hoped we were going to have a nice warm summer so we could spend time in and on the river. Well, he got his wish and then some.

It's been hot, hotter, humid and warm and for the first time in three years, we are spending time down by the river. We've got a nice spot for a table and chairs that's in the shade by two in the afternoon. There's a point of sandy beach that extends off our swimming rocks. There are rapids off the swimming rocks too and you can easily swim over to a patch of gravel that's accumulated over the past four or five years where tubers and kayakers stop on their way downstream.

It is a perfect spot. We can look upstream through the valley to hills to the west. The water reflects the green on the banks and the rocky ledge that rises from the water reflects the shimmering light in its turn.

There's this one spot where I love to hang out just to the left of one of the rapids. I float over in a tube then hook my heels on the rock. At that point, I'm at eye level with the water just upstream. Turn my head and I can watch this amazing substance foam and curl. Drops reach for the sky, air churns, and my ears are filled with nothing but the river's voice.

I love nothing more than this place, and feel its embrace in return. What can ever be more important than water? Oil? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment