Friday, November 5, 2010

Battling the Grays of November

It's gray here, rainy, low-clouds, cold, raw. Sometimes if you're out in this type of weather for too long, the only way you can get warm again is to stand in a hot shower while the water heats your bone marrow.

November has an outsized impact on people's moods, stirring up anxieties, feelings of loneliness. Meteorologically speaking, we have more cloudy days this month than at any other time of year. Good thing November's only got 30 days, eh?

So it's the best time of year to play with color. I'm nearly five months behind on this quilt. It's for my sister's 50th birthday which was way back in June. I had the top done by then but we got a trifle distracted as the weather turned warm.

So when my head finally got around to sewing again, her quilt was the first item I grabbed on my UFO pile. (That's unfinished objects to the uninitiated.) I'm nearly done with the quilting part of the project, a simple straightline on both sides of each seam. Then it's binding and off to the Cape to keep my sister warm in front of the TV or anywhere else she may desire.

When I got home from the Cape after Mom died, I spent a bit of time getting myself organized in every facet of my life because I needed to reset my bearings. I have a long list of UFOs and other, smaller project, stuff that needs fixing mostly. The goal here is to focus, get things done so I've set up a rhythm of UFO, fun project (which can come from the UFO pile), a fix-it then another fun, etc. Should be an interesting winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment