Monday, February 28, 2011

More Green for a Rainy Day

Ruby Red Swiss chard in my garden. These plants were harvested
and frozen to use in soups all winter. They add this earthy taste and smell
that's so welcome this time of year.
I have two bunches of chives in my gardens. These are right in front of the house where
they are among the very first plants to spring out of the ground.
Right now, this garden is under a four-foot snowbank.
A Christmas fern in the woods in fall. It is one of the last green plants
we see along the path.
This is a clematis hybrid. This viney plant takes forever to get acclimated
and bloom and last season was a first for this plant. Now, however, the
lattice where it climbed is gone so I will have to move it.
I spotted this comfrey plant in the woods close to the river, dug up some rootstock and
put it in my garden. The leaves of this plant are huge and fuzzy. I love the blossoms
on it but the leaves tend to smother anything close by so I have
to cut it back to the ground at least once every summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment