Friday, February 11, 2011

New Life

Every gardener holds her or his breath when coaxing new life from a cutting or seeds. Will it grow? Will it take to the soil? Will it flourish?

About four weeks ago, I tore through my house plants. I don't have many and I must admit I am not the best of indoor gardeners because I have a tendency to pay attention to other parts of the indoor life. So my pothos and ivy and a Christmas cactus plus the remains of a green gift were pot bound or otherwise neglected.

So I pulled everything out of its pot, cut away stems I figured would respond well to sitting in a pot of water, and put the rest in my compost pile.

Admittedly, this is not the best time of year to do that but my plant shelf gets a lot of light so I thought I'd be OK. But still, I worried.

I noticed the first roots about a week ago, thin filaments extending from the stems, searching for a new home. Then this morning, I noticed that the ivy is growing new leaves.

I'm going to give them another week and then start repotting. And the scent of moist soil will waft through my kitchen. How nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment