Friday, May 13, 2011

It's Called Squirrel Corn

I cannot believe that I went to bed last night and did not remember to write my blog!! Still, I will wind up my year of celebrating my 60th birthday by writing here for 362 days (or thereabouts).

I thought I would get back to the flower blog I posted the other day when I did not know what this particular ephemeral was called. Come to find out, its seeds resemble corn kernels so it's referred to, commonly, as squirrel corn.

And ephemeral is a key word here. These little beauties, as well as the Dutchman's breeches, are already by. Some of the violets are fading though I know they will keep blooming over the summer though not in such profusion.

And the little bluets and the daffodils and narcissus are gone as well. But I can see the snow-in-summer and purple columbine and the lilacs and the crabapple ready to bust open any moment now!

I also found part of a robin's egg shell on the ground as Goldie and I returned from our walk. Hard to believe that the first babies are hatched already.

Everyone always describes spring as this soft season but it's really a hard charger!

Just five days to go until I fall back to once a week. But I am so glad I decided to do this. Through this blog, I have learned to enjoy writing again. That was the best gift I gave myself this past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment