Saturday, May 7, 2011

Spring Things in Pictures

It's a beautiful day in May so I was out taking pictures this afternoon.
I just recently caught sight of these flowers along the steps down to the river.
At first, I took them for Dutchman's breeches but the bloom is nothing
like that flower, which you can see for yourself just below.
It looks like a white bleeding heart. I've gotta look this one up.
This is the Dutchman's breeches which I've grown to love so much since we came to live here.
I've been trying for years to get a good picture of these unusual flowers.
And today, I got three of them.
I planted a number of grape hyacinth around my yard years ago
and keep spreading them out. Love this plant.
My lilacs are getting ready to bloom. A friend in my quilt guild told me how to
prune these shrubs properly, which I will do this fall. Love the smell of these.
To me, the daffodil and narcissus season never lasts long enough.
These narcissus with the peach-colored centers are always the last to bloom. Lovely, aren't they?
I've been in love with violets all my life but never saw them this color until we moved here.
I've picked these out of the ground and spread them everywhere.
The family viola always has such charming faces. I hate to cut the grass when they are in bloom.
My guiding rule on mowing is that I don't do it until I can't see
Goldie in the grass. Things are growing so fast,
that may be sooner than I anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment