Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Blue Volunteer


I spent some time yesterday catching up on my personal 60s project and realized I am waaaayyyyy behind on the plants part of this. So far, I've only listed 18 botanicals which means I have 42 to do.

It also means we have some green left over for the winter months, a fact which can be cockle warming indeed.

This upright addition to the long skinny garden that separates the road from my yard showed up about five years ago and is spreading nicely, thank you very much.

It's common name is blue cardinal flower and its Latin nom de plume is Lobelia siphilitica.

When fully in bloom, it stands approximately knee-high with this rich indigo hue. I know there's a red version of this because I've seen it in gardens around Lake Memphremagog up in Canada when we visited my favorite aunt, Fluff, and her husband Bill.

Great plant. No staking needed, which is key in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment