Thursday, September 9, 2010

Tribes




The picture at the top is Mom when she was two years old. That was in 1929, the year the economy of the US crashed. I don't think that ever mattered much to this little girl.

Scroll down to picture number two. That's my Mom standing on the far right, my cousin Gigi and I are standing in the center and you can see part of my Mom's extended Hakala family together in my Grandfather and Grandmother Hakala's living room in Boylston, Massachusetts.

Move down to picture number 3 and you can see the eight Hakala children and how they grew, posing together at the wedding of my sister Heidi and her husband Terry in 1984. From left to right that's brother number 1, Donald; brother number 6, David; brother number 3, Peter; yours truly; my sister Heidi (aka the bride); Dad; Mom; brother number 2, James; brother number 4, Mark; and brother number 5, Paul.

Dad died in August 2002. After the ceremony at the cemetery, we all stood together in a circle around his casket, holding hands to say good-bye. This morning, we will do the same for Mom.

She was the heart and soul of the tribe. Oh how she will be missed.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of memories in that second picture. Understanding the feeling of missing one who was important to the family. Just know she will always hold that place.

    ReplyDelete