Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Beauty Report

Have I mentioned lately how wonderful the women of my quilt guild are? How talented? How generous?

Well, if I haven't, I've been remiss.

A few days after I made my first public announcement about my Quilts for Parkinson's project at a guild meeting, I received an email from one of our newest members, Annette Houston.

At the end of last year, when I helped put together an exhibition of quilts by guild members, Annette showed up with this wonderful mix of art quilts, all in colors that just sparkled off the walls.

So, she asked, she had some quilts for the Parkinson's project. Would I be interested?

You bet.

When I got to her apartment yesterday, she unfolded five quilts, two of which we agreed were a little too small for adults. But the three I brought home are perfect.

Come to find out, Annette and I are both scrappers, always looking for ways to use up the strips, squares and other odds and ends left over from other projects. In fact, I got more than a few ideas just from the short time spent in her living room.

This quilt and its whirling stars is, I think, my favorite of the three. It's hand quilted and when you pick it up, it just feels good in your hands.

I have pictures of all three of Annette's generous donations on www.SonjaHakala.com where you will find guidelines and donation details for the Quilts for Parkinson's project.

Thanks Annette.

No comments:

Post a Comment