Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dress Rehearsal

Last night was my quilt guild's March meeting. And it was the first time I talked publicly about my Parkinson's quilt project.

I was ssssooooooo nervous, far more nervous than I think I've ever been in front of a crowd. Whenever I try to talk about Mom, I seem to stop breathing. My voice was shaking and my hands trembled like the proverbial leaf. Aspen leaves came to mind.

I brought the two tops I've made so far, this picture being part of top number two. I appreciated the oohs of approval when they were unfolded.

Two women in my guild came up to offer to make quilts. They each know someone with Parkinson's.

Once I was done, I experienced that spent, almost floating feeling that you get after a sizable expenditure of emotional energy. I knew this was my dress rehearsal for the speech I'm making in mid-April.

I did it. The feedback I've received is really good. I just hope that in April, I can reach my usual place of calm quickly because I don't think I could hold that level of emotion for more than a few minutes.

Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment