Saturday, May 22, 2010

Cheap Thrill Number 4 -- Stash!




Two friends named Joanne and Cathy had a stash reduction sale today. I was the first one there. Well, what would you do when someone says they're selling batiks and African prints for $6 a pound? (For you yardage friends, there's about 4 yards in a pound of fabric.)

African prints are somewhat of a rarity in quilt shops around here. You get a lot more traditional fabrics -- flowers, tone-on-tone, geometrics, small prints -- but I love the bright and different use of colors in African prints.

And batiks -- well, they are heavenly. If you love color, batiks are like the perfect sunset at the end of a perfect day.

In any case, $90 later, I've made a sizable transfer of stash from Cathy to me. That's about $1.50 a yard. Batiks run from $9 to $10 per yard when new and off the bolt.

Major stash score. I'm happy.

This qualifies as cheap thrill number 4!

And I finished A Room with a View by E.M. Forster last night. My favorite quote: "There is no rehearsal for life." I think this one's a bumper sticker.

2 comments:

  1. I would have been there right with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell? That book just irritated me. You'll have to explain, perhaps. I'm 100% with you on the others - esp the ones I haven't read yet!!

    ReplyDelete