Friday, May 28, 2010

Thrill Number 5, Not Cheap



I've become part of a loosely organized steering committee for this grand new venture called the Upper Valley Sew-Op. It's an extension of the programming done by the Upper Valley Food Coop in White River Junction, Vermont, and it's turning out to be quite interesting.

Right now, we're in that lovely (to me, anyways) chaotic state of starting when everything is possible and those who show up get to lead—and anyone can show up.

I'll be writing far more about this as time goes one but I wanted to share an experience from last night.

The Sew-Op room is big enough for three long tables where you can sit six people with sewing machines. We've been open since March with what we've called Open Hours that were loosely defined as "you show up and we'll help you to sew or chat and work alongside you."

We started slow and quiet, working on our own projects, chatting, getting to know one another, and wondering if anyone would ever show up. Well, I can now report that it's been quite a few weeks since I've done any work of my own. It seems we've uncovered a need and people want us to fill it.

Last night, one of the other Sew-Oppers and I volunteered to help a troupe of Girl Scouts who are working on sewing badges. Ten girls, four other adult women, and the two of us in this room. High energy reigned supreme (which is another way of saying that the need for attention in several different directions at the same time was acute).

One of the troupers is a sweet little one named Natalie who has some mental challenges. But she charged right into the midst of the action.

At the beginning of our session, I taught the girls how to make no-sew hair scrunchies using some of the ribbon and lace and other bling that's been donated to the Sew-Op. I also brought some of the cloth bags I made as prototypes when I did my Gifting Green book. (See the cover above—and it's available on Amazon.)

The bags were hit, and I noticed Natalie hugging hers.

We interacted a couple of times but I didn't get to sew with her. Then, as we were cleaning up, Natalie came over, bag in her arms, wrapped her arms around my neck and gave me a kiss on the cheek to say thanks. I was struck by the genuine warmth that flowed from the child, and literally felt her touch my heart.

Thrill number five but hardly cheap.

1 comment:

  1. Hardly cheap at all.
    I love those kinds of experiences - they last forever because they enlarge our hearts and fill our souls.
    Wish I was closer and could be involved in a program like this. Will have to enjoy through your posts.

    ReplyDelete