Monday, January 3, 2011

Foodus Interruptus

On the second day of my resolution to focus on one Most Important Task per day, I slammed into a Re-Learning Curve.

My Mom had a saying when, as kids, we took a larger portion of food than she knew we could eat: "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach," she'd say.

(An aside—when I was very young, I tried to figure out how this could be because our eyes are so little in comparison to the area our stomachs take up. I imagined that our eyes extended way into our skulls, making my Mom's saying true in the physical sense. But I digress.)

I think that Mom's saying has more than one application. Can I see a show of hands as to how many of us have said "Oh, that will take only a few minutes" only to realize that that few minutes is actually a few hours?

I thought so.

All of us have had the experience of a day getting away from us, of somehow believing we can fit 16 hours of accomplishments into an eight-hour span.

So it was for me yesterday. I figured I'd have a couple of hours to spend on plowing through my files (my Most Important Task yesterday) while baking the bread I planned to take to a party last night.

But while my hands were in the flour, I remembered there were still some Red Empire apples waiting in a cool room to be made into a pie. When I checked on them, they were getting soft.

And one had already gone over to the Dark Side and was in dire need of composting.

Wasting food. Now that won't do at all.

So after making a Garlic Küchen for the annual Garlic, Butter and Chocolate party put on by some wonderful friends (you can see part of the chocolate festivities above thanks to Carl and his iPhone), I ended up peeling apples to make a pie. By the time the treat got into the oven, it was time to go.

Which means that I never touched my files yesterday.

While I didn't achieve the M.I.T. for yesterday, I did get the house clean and good food cooked. And then got to hang out with a big bunch of my favorite people and eat great food.

Not a bad way to spend the day, eh?

M.I.T. for today: Make sure all the financial info for my business in 2010 is complete so I am ready for tax season wwwwwaaaayyyyyy ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment