Friday, January 7, 2011

Meet Paddy

Several years ago, I got a call from a woman I did not know. Her name is Vivian Miller Moore.

We have a friend in common, she said. And indeed she is right, we both know Civil War historian Howard Coffin, author of Full Duty: Vermonters in the Civil War.

I have a book, she said, and Howard said you might be able to help me get it published.

It's been a very long time since a phone call like this ceased to be unusual to me. I most often work from referrals and I figured any friend of Howard's...

The bird in this picture is a ruffed grouse, often referred to as a partridge. Three years prior to my meeting Vivian, this bird (whom she named Paddy) adopted the farm she shares with her husband Wil as his hangout. In fact, Paddy adopted Vivian, Wil, their extended family, and many of their friends. That's Vivian feeding him here.

Soon after Paddy chose their farm, Vivian began keeping a journal that she wanted to turn into a book, which we did, printing 300 copies that Vivian sold by consignment. It's been out of print ever since.

But Paddy is coming back. By the end of this month, Paddy: A Ruffed Grouse Chooses Our Farm will be available once again.

Of all the books I've worked on over the years, this has to be the most charming story to come my way. This year as I celebrate 25 years as a freelance writer and publisher, I'm sharing parts of that life with you from time to time. Paddy is a good place to start. I'll be posting an excerpt tomorrow with some more of Vivian's pictures.

And the M.I.T. resolution is still holding sway. I got through all of my file drawers yesterday, filled a laundry basket with recycling, and got reacquainted with projects from the past that have a very good future.

M.I.T. for today—clean up the last pile of to-dos on my desk!!

No comments:

Post a Comment