Monday, January 10, 2011

I'm Not the Only One

In his signature song "Imagine," John Lennon tells us he's not the only dreamer in the world. 
I'm a dreamer, almost always the one in the room with the half-full glass. But for some reason that I've never understood, the world makes pessimism much easier to maintain than optimism.
I'll bet you feel that way too. After all, we have a loud, overwhelming cacophony of empty-headed blabbermouths on TV, in the newspapers, and on the web whose only job in life is to get us all to worry. And buy whatever their sponsors are selling.
Then there are the downers in our workplaces, the ones threatened by our competence. Or the family members who advocate giving up.
Yep, the Inferi (the name for the undead in Harry Potter) are everywhere.
I say we swim against that putrid tide. Let's dream together, shall we? And encourage others around us to do the same. 
Repeat after me: Why not? Why not?
"Your resources are always far greater than you imagine them to be. Never ask, 'Can I do this?' Ask instead, 'How can I do this?'" —Dan Zadra

No comments:

Post a Comment