Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fourth Time Is the Charm

The huge storm of last week (the latest in a series of weekly huge storms) missed us entirely. But that doesn't mean our snow level is anything but really DEEP!

I've been avoiding the coldest days for walks with the dog because it's just too much for us. We've played in the yard instead where we can get back inside quickly when the wind comes up.

So packing down the trail through the woods has been slow. In my experience, which has a 17-year history by this time, it takes four passes to make the trail.

Walk Number 1 is the most difficult as you break through the snow, sinking often up to my knees. I leave behind a series of intersecting ovals that Goldie weaves through.

During Walk Number 2, I alter my pace so that the places where I didn't step before now get squashed down.

Things are getting easier by Walk Number 3 during which I try to squash any snow that remains standing between these footsteps and Walk Number 4, which I am about to take, finishes off the rest.

So yeah, fourth time is the charm. And then, of course, there's another snow storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment