Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Win-Win-Win

This is an Oster blender/food processing unit. My husband and I spent a bit of time searching for just the right blender to add to our kitchen stuff when the glass container of our old one hit the floor which chipped its rim making a very sharp edge.

We don't use a blender every day but in winter, there are a few soups that call for blending before serving, carrot and pumpkin-lentil riding on the top of the list.

We purchased this blender because it had a glass blending container and a second unit that purported to be a food processor. We figured that it would be handy during pesto-making season. About three weeks after purchase, I was tightening the base onto the glass when the black plastic split in my hand. (You can see the results in the photo below). I believe it was the second time we'd used the thing.

And, of course, you can't buy just a plastic base to replace the shoddy one that just split in your hands. You'd think I was the Hulk!

So the hunt's been on for a good replacement ever since. As you know, I believe that the stuff for sale in second-hand stores is actually of better quality than what you find new in the stores, especially junk chain stores. Last week, I stopped by my personal favorite, the Good Buy Store near the Hartford High School (part of the Southeastern Vermont Community Action program) and there it was, my dream blender come true, a Hamilton Beach with a nice glass container, sturdy base and a price tag of $8. I also found some of what I call "skinny yarn" to use in my hat project (at $.25 a skein) and a great LL Bean jacket ($8) for my son whose favorite outerwear had succumbed to a crummy zipper.

Second hand. Supporting recycling and quality at the same time. And around here, supporting some great non-profits.

Win-win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment