Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Art of Redoing

Gifting Green is the first how-to book I published on my own. It was, in the parlance of today, a learning experience.

The pattern I developed works. The instructions are clear and I really like the cover photo. But there are some problems with this book.

First of all, the fabric in this cover bag is Christmas, which limits the market for the book.

It's really only one pattern, which feels limiting to me.

And then there's the title. Gifting Green sounds like an ecological choice for giving presents when it's really about making these very cool drawstring bags that you can use for everything!

Seriously, I've given these bags to family and friends and use them myself and once you get started, you find all sorts of uses for them.

All of this is to say that Gifting Green is going to be out of print very soon. BUT yesterday, I started working on the layout for a replacement. What do you think about the title Bag Land?

Anyway, that's what I like about printing books digitally. I don't have a bunch sitting around in a warehouse that I have to take care of. I just simply inform my printer that I'm not publishing this one any more and move on. Nothing added to the waste stream.

And I really did learn a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment