Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Anise Hyssop

I figure I have about nine weeks left in this growing season so I need to work on my list of 60 plants a bit. Though I don't think I'll post about all of them between now and when the last flower in my garden blooms at Halloween. I'm going to save some for the winter when green is in short supply.

Anyway, I got my first anise hyssop (Agastache foeniculum) plants from a friend who lives up in Thetford. The licorice scent of the leaves and the blooms is heavenly, enveloping you if you brush it when you walk by.

Bees and butterflies love this plant and we even see an occasional hummingbird sipping the licorice from time to time.

Though, come to think of it, we haven't seen very many hummers this summer.

Anyway, once you get this established, it reseeds itself readily. Of course, I help it along by shaking the seed among my gardens. When dried, the leaves make an interesting tea in midwinter, a bit more warming on the insides that others. Good for soothing an upset stomach as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment