Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Harvest Resumed





Just a few pix from the 2010 harvest extravaganza, now on full court press in a garden near me.


That's ruby red chard and one of the yellow summer squash hidden under the gigantic leaves in the garden in front of the house.


And we are entering fruit nirvana up here in Vermont. I love every kind of fruit I've ever put in my mouth (as long as it was fresh) but apples are the epitome of this passion. The larger one of the two pictured here is a Paula Red. The Paula Red crop is very small this year because these trees were in bloom when we got hit by a three-day frost back in May. (The law of longterm consequences is never so apparent as it is in agriculture.)


The smaller succulent is of a variety called State Fair. At this point in the season, the apples are tart and crunchy.


Whoa, my mouth is watering. Macs and Cortlands and Northern Spies are on their way. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment