Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Sun of Gold: Helianthus multiflorus


This tall plant with the pompom flowers has wandered about my yard looking for a home ever since it arrived here among other garden gifts from my friend Lauren. Its height and the relative weight of its double blooms mean it's very susceptible to wind and rain. In fact, it often flops over on its own with no help from the elements at all.

But look at that yellow, absorbed, the yellow of yellows. Lemons have nothing on this baby. Its common name is so appropriate, Soleil d'Or, the Sun of Gold.

For years I thought this plant's common name was Golden Glow (which is still appropriate) but this morning, when I searched for its Latin name, I discovered two (to me) incredible facts: that common name belongs to a lofty sunflower with daisy-like blooms, and this plant is a sunflower, Helianthus.

This fall, my Sun of Gold will get a permanent home, a place where it can lean. After this year's gardening experience, I've decided to give up on growing my own tomatoes. There's just not enough sun here. So the place where they have been planted for the past three years will become a pole bean site and the bean site, with its high lattice fencing, will be perfect for my Soleil d'Or. So it will get moved, yet again, this fall to share space with morning glories and maybe an Indian cucumber or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment