Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Grampa Luey


My Mom is sleeping a great deal, very few moments of consciousness. But she seems comfortable and peaceful.

This time has given us moments of reflection.

Strangely enough (to me, anyway) I find myself thinking about my Mom's father, Donald Luey, a man I never met except through my Mom's memories of him. He died of tuberculosis when my Mom was 14. It was a devastating blow to her because her Dad was truly the apple of her eye.

I find myself talking to Grandfather Luey, asking him to come and take his youngest daughter so she will have peace.

I found this picture of him the other day, in his naval uniform. He was a graduate of Annapolis and served in World War I. Before Annapolis, he attended Dartmouth College but left to serve in the Navy. He was in the radio corps.

We all feel the tribe gathering, and it seems to me that the separation between this world and the next is very thin right now. I hope he comes to take Mom by the hand, as he used to when she was a girl, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment