Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Importance of Being Silly


I'm off to be by my mother's side early tomorrow morning.

When I was with her a week ago, she asked me about our dog, that mistress of silliness we call Goldie. Mom has always loved dogs, and told me she enjoys hearing me tell stories about Goldie.

Silliness matters. There's not a day that goes by that this little elfin spirit doesn't make me laugh. I think the world would be a much happier place if we all followed these simple cocker spaniel rules.

Always wag your tail when you're with people you like.

Jump in leaves in the fall.

Chase snowballs in winter.

Splash in the water in summer.

Snuffle through the woods in spring.

When someone raises their voice, get right in their face and give them a kiss.

Hold out for the food you really like.

When faced with a bigger dog, go find Mom.

Start each day with a good stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment