Sunday, August 22, 2010

What a Great Day!!

Jay and I just had the best day yesterday. We kayaked Lake Ninevah in the morning, a trek which included driving on what I think will stand as the narrowest road in Vermont. (Ditch on one side, landfall on the other, I was driving while trying not to close my eyes and say "Oh no!) You get the idea.

We got a load of wood into the bulkhead for the winter and just have one small load left to go and this is the earliest we've ever been this ready with wood.

But then the topper was going over the hill to the Suicide Six ski area (somehow, I wish they would change the name) to see one of my favorites of all time, the Celtic fiddler from Cape Breton, Natalie McMaster. She is about 5 months pregnant with her fourth child, plays fiddle like a Scottish angel, and you wouldn't believe her step dancing.

Great band, a sixteen-year old Celtic cellist and an amazing keyboard player and drummer who was fun to watch. Her 16-year old niece came out and sang (great voice) and then came out and step danced. Her feet flew so fast, you could barely see them.

We were amazed that Natalie, who was billed as the headliner, came out first. We had never heard of the other act, Great Big Sea, so we had no expectations. But then these five guys from Newfoundland came out and just blew us away. They do one of the things I love to watch or hear the most, taking traditional music (or crafts or painting, you name it) and making it all new again.

They bill themselves as folk-rock, and they do rock. But then the voices of four of them, the drummer doesn't sing, blend in this powerful mix on sea shanties—that rock. Some of the shanties are old but they have written new pieces that sound as if they could have been sung aboard ship two hundred years ago. Extraordinary.

Jay bought me a CD which I am going to play (probably over and over again) on my way to the Cape. I am leaving shortly to go spend time with my beloved Mom, maybe for the last time.

Jay took some great pix of the crowd and Natalie and GBS that I will post when he sends them.

No comments:

Post a Comment